- I haven't written a single new page the whole month of Jan. (OK, let's back up... actually I didn't write a single new page the whole month of Dec either. (I might as well be honest.))
- I feel like I have no control over my day and what I want to do with it. Before I know it, my day is over, my To DO list is still two pages long, and again, no writing got done
As, I've posted before, I write for real estate. The winter is the time I get my own personal writing done as it is usually a very slow time for the market. People don't usually list their homes now. They wait for the spring when for sale signs pop up like daisies. BUT... I've actually been busy this winter and the momentum is building. I can feel it.
To be honest, I can't even really explain what exactly is making me so hurried, but I feel I can't catch my breath. Here's a typical day of the week, for example.
- wake up at 7, get the kids and myself ready for the day
- kids missed the bus, now I have to add driving them to school to my list
- drive them to school, pick up my coffee (this is a MUST)
- go to work
- 12:30 see a house or two for copy review
- pick up kids from school
- drive number one to flute lessons
- grab dinner on the go
- go to the library for my writer's group meeting
- finally come home at 10:00 pm
Today, my planner was a beautiful thing. See, under the date, Friday, January 30th, 2009, it was blank! NOTHING - that's right, nada, bupkus, empty. Plus, I don't have a car - it's being serviced, so I can't go anywhere. It's not only a beautiful thing, it's a RARE thing, as well. I couldn't WAIT for today. All week I just kept thinking of Friday. I'll get through today and it will almost be Friday. Two more days and it will be Friday. Go to bed and when I wake up, it will be Friday.
My plans for today...
- write copy
- work on novel
- do laundry
- pack (child number 2 and I are going away this weekend)
I woke up my normal time. Got my kids off to school AND on the bus - sorry, no exceptions today - Mommy doesn't have a car! *insert maniacal laughter* Read a ton of work emails, answered all of them. That's when I started to veer... Hmm, I thought, I have some time. I haven't read or commented on any of my friend's blogs in a while.... a few hours later... I felt the whiz and whir of life speed up again. With hurry in my heart, I jumped in the shower, rushed to get dressed and ready, ran down stairs, made lunch, ate so fast, I barely tasted it when all of a sudden...
...lunch wasn't agreeing with me. My stomach didn't feel so hot. Oh, no. I couldn't have caught the stomach virus... I gazed up at the clock -
THIS is my point! I have become so accustomed to rushing and time flying by, that I assumed it was lunch time! I just can't seem to slow myself down even when life has given me the chance. I am THAT used to the rush.
So, how do you slow down your life when it wheels out of control?