Followers

Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Resolution

OK so every year, millions of us make New Year's Resolutions that most likely are abandoned by spring time. This year I am going to make a Writer’s Resolution - One I can stick with because it will not be centered around food! As soon as I am on a diet, I become rebellious and suddenly have an insatiable appetite.


So here it goes... My Writer's Resolutions for 2008...


Writer's Resolution #1

MAKE REVISIONS - One of my picture books is just about ready for submission. I am going to work on it for a day or two and then mail it out!


Writer's Resolution #2

POLISH PAGES 1 - 30 - I have promised an editor my next 30 pages (31 - 60) since last April. (Oh the shame...) It's not that I have been ignoring her. No. I have been busily taking her suggestions and writing and re-writing. I thought all I had to do was write forward. But because I knew what problems needed to be fixed, I just couldn't move forward. So instead I took these 8-9 months to rewrite. Now that I feel I am on the right path with this 6th draft, I feel I should mail her my new first thirty and I want to do this before Jan 15.


Writer's Resolution #3

FINISH MY BOOK! If I write 10 pages a day, taking into consideration those days when you just can't write... maybe you need to simmer, or you need a break, or you're sick... I think I can be close to done by April 2008. That is three months away. This would include critiques and re-writes. I think this could be plausible.


Writer's Resolution#4

SAVE, SAVE, SAVE - my long term goal is to attend the 2009 Bologna Children's Book Fair. http://www.bookfair.bolognafiere.it/book_index.asp?m=52&l=2&ma=3 This is supposed to be THE children's book fair for children's writers. I hope to shop this particular novel there. My goal is for the first book to be completed and polished and that I am somewhere in the second book in the series.



Well, I think that just about sums it up; four goals spread out over the next year. I have heard writing your dream down into a goal is the first step into turning it into a reality.

I have also been told recently that 2007 was a year of endings and 2008 will be a year of beginnings. I don't know about you, but I am ready for a beginning. Heck, and who knows, maybe I will finally loose those 15 - 20 lbs to boot!


So let's hear from you... What are your Writer's Resolutions for the New Year?


Happy New Years!


Sheri ks, ks


9 comments:

Lori said...

Happy 2008 to you too, Sheri! Thanks for stopping by. I've added you to my blog roll. Neat stuff here!

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Oh thanks Lori!

Novice Writer said...

Well, my resolution is to try really really hard and become a good writer..hope it will become a reality some day...
Happy New Year

Rachel Hamby said...

Sounds like you have some great goals for 2008. Especially the conference. WOW, that would be an experience! Here's to success in 2008.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Thanks,
Rachel! Here's to all of us reaching our goals!
Sheri

Anonymous said...

I think I've come to a time in my life where I no longer want or need resolutions. If I don't know by now what I have to do, truly, I'll never know. So I'm going to aim for continuing to journal daily, draw a little something daily and keep my eyes on the deadlines for my writing group, conferences and workshops I plan to attend, and most importantly ... keep my eyes on the prize ... being published. And hopefully, with your plans - we'll be meeting each other there!

♥♥♥ A- Licious ♥♥♥ said...

great job Sheri!

mine is simple - i just need to start writing AGAIN! ;o)

love your blogs! xoxoxo

Cate Gardner said...

Good luck with your resolutions... And a word-filled 2008 to you.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Well I cross number one of my list. My picture book is on it's way to the editor as we speak!

Now I am polishing my first three chapters and soon, that one will be on its way too!

This is the first time I set goals I can actually meet! It feels good.

Sheri

“Personal limitation exists only in our ideas of who we are. Give up all notions of who you are and your limitations will vanish.”

- Anonymous