Followers

Monday, November 17, 2008

I'm Sick! And NaNo days 15 and 16 (17 to come later...)

Oh no, you guys! I'm sick! All I want to do is curl up in bed and go to sleep... Being sick (and cleaning a very messy house that desperately needed it) has seriously hampered my word count.

My current word count for this weekend was 18,022. I managed to write a bit over 3,000 for the two days, cleaned the entire first floor of my house (all but my office), organize two closets, switched daughter #2's closet over from summer to winter, and helped her clean and organize her room. I collected eight garbage bags of clothes and toys for good will and for garbage, finished my freelance writing, and mailed out my invoice. And all while being dog-sick! So, I am amazed, that with sickness and all, I got any words down on paper, let alone 3,000. I'm upset though because I was striving to write 3000 words on Saturday and Sunday. Not combined. So once again, I am behind!

What once felt possible - reaching 50,000 - now feels like it's slipping away, just right there, beyond my reach. I don't mean to be a downer - it's my cold talking - But I've done the math. I see the word counts for each day from this point forward and I have serious doubts. I guess (I prematurely celebrated last week!)

Reaching 50,000 words was never my original goal - it was to write daily (if possible), discover more about my writing process, and get passed this hump in my writing I never seem to get over. I did reach most of those goals and I feel like I am a much stronger and committed writer then I was before I started NaNo.

This is not to sound like I have given up. I certainly have not! I will finish this book. I will finish this book. I will finish this book! I just might not finish this book by November 30th... :)

Enough complaining - I started writing this morning right after the bus pulled away and then I had to succumb and took a nap. Now, I have complained to all of you while drinking a cup of strong coffee - so... onward! To writing! See you all later when I report in today's word count!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck! And hope you feel better!!

Casey Something said...

I feel a cold coming on (sore throat so far) but I'm ignoring it in the hopes that it will just go away. I really hope it doesn't turn nasty.

I definitely feel for you though. Being sick is the last thing anyone needs while trying to do NaNo. Definitely rest up or you might end up prolonging it.

Admittedly, I didn't do so hot this weekend either (see my post from today) but it sounds like you've reached the main goals you set for yourself and that's fabulous. I've certainly learned a lot already and won't be too disappointed if something prevents me from hitting 50k.

And yes, you WILL finish your book!

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

hey Beth, Susan, and Casey, thanks for the cheers. I am feeling a little better, but still very tired. it will be early to bed for me.

I did write, so far 2,384 words. I still have about an hour before I have to check homework and make dinner. I am single parenting this week, so... I might not be able to come back to my story later, after dinner... I'll have to see.

Casey, I read your latest posting and commented there. Do not start writing something new. I think you'll regret it.

See you all soon for my Monday's word count...

Angie Frazier said...

I'm so impressed you're doing NaNo!! and while sick, too. Wow. Good luck!!

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Hey Angie! It's good to see your face again! And thanks for the cheer! Are you doing NaNo this year?

Rebecca Gomez said...

Sheri,

Quit cleaning and make the most of being sick! Curl up in a blanket and sit at the computer with a hot cup of green tea with honey and lemon. And write!

“Personal limitation exists only in our ideas of who we are. Give up all notions of who you are and your limitations will vanish.”

- Anonymous