Followers

Monday, March 30, 2009

Where has the Time Gone? And a Fabulous Must Read

So sorry for my long absence. I haven't been here... I haven't been to your blogs... I disappeared from the blog-o-sphere. What's my story? Well, although the real estate market has not improved as far as the buying end, the listing end is as busy as ever. As I always say... For Sale signs pop up like daisies in the spring. And popping they are!

The other copy writer is on maternity, so I am covering her territory as well. AND... I never thought I'd make it this long in my preschool job, but here I am at the home stretch! I am proud of myself but I am being stretched as far as I can (and I am pretty limber). It is the thought of a springtime respite that is getting me through and receiving some very positive feedback on my last chapters submitted to my group for critique.

OK, enough about that... Schooled by Gordon Korman is the BEST book I've read, hands down, in a long time! (I'm onto Savvy now). OK, I know I just said that about Eggs by Jerry Spinelli, but this book is unique, fresh, and so cleverly written, I COULD NOT STOP READING IT. Each chapter moves the story forward but told from another character's POV.

My youngest picked it up at the book fair in school and said, Mommy, listen to this first page.

I was hooked!

I said, Let me see that, and never gave it back. (Sorry honey... you can have it back now.) Maybe it's my quasi hippie up-bringing, maybe it's that I am a '60s baby, maybe because I love rock-n-roll... but whatever the reason, this is your next MUST READ.

Kormon has written, something ridiculous like, 50 books! That's amazing to me. In this book, Capricorn (BTW, that's my sign) Anderson, is the most unusual middle schooler. Raised on the last remaining hippie compound... but today folks, not in the '60s... he is a total throw back to Peace, Love, and Understanding, when a semi-tragedy strikes throwing this home-schooled hippie into Cleaverage Middle School (nicknamed C-Average). As a total joke, he is voted class president. But, the jokes on the in-crowd as Capricorn's non-violent, insightful views, and unique visions slowly change C-Average, the students, and maybe even the teachers.

I loved Capricorn Anderson, felt I knew him, and didn't want the story to end. GO, NOW. Run, don't walk, and buy Schooled. You won't regret it!

10 comments:

Rebecca Gomez said...

Sounds fascinating. I'll add it to my "to read" list.

Nice to see you in the blogosphere, Sheri!

Casey Something said...

Nice to see you're back!

Schooled sounds fun! I'll add it to my list.

PJ Hoover said...

Welcome back, and what a great recommendation!!!!! I'll have to pick it up when I see it!

Kelly H-Y said...

Thanks for the great recommendations! And, wow ... sounds like you are busy, busy!!!

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Thanks for the welcome back. I'll try to get to all of your blogs throughout the week.

And definitely out Schooled on your to be read list and let me know what you think. It's a quick read.

Clementine said...

I've missed you! Glad you're back! I forgot you were teaching too, how do you juggle so much? Whew! That book sounds like another one to add to my tower. Thanks for the info.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

That's so sweet of you to say Amy. It's nice to be missed. I am not back all the way until the spring market slows in the summer, but hopefullY I will have time to check in at least once or twice a week.

Yeah, teach too. How do I juggle? I don't know! I'll let you know when I figure it out...

Kathy Temean said...

Sheri,

Where are you? I haven't talked to you in so long and you didn't answer my last e-mail.

Kathy

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi Sheri,

Thanks for sharing that with us! Please come back soon!

We love your
site!! Amen & amen! :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

coffeeismypoison said...

Nice...u do excellent un biased reviews :) any author is lucky to have u on their side!
This sounds like a good book...will see if its available in India.
Am going to follow ur blog...keep up with my reading and ur writing which is delightfully refreshing.
would really appreciate ur opinion on my blog :)

“Personal limitation exists only in our ideas of who we are. Give up all notions of who you are and your limitations will vanish.”

- Anonymous