It's that time again... Goal setting time. Now that the kindelah are back in school, it is mama's time to write. This year though, I am stretching myself rather thin (if only that was a literal phrase...). Anyway, I began a very part-time job last week teaching 3-year olds at a preschool. I applied for the job because I thought the hours were perfect - Tuesday/Thursday mornings from 9 - 12:30. It will let me put my kiddies on the bus, then off to work for me, and I'll still come home with time for either my freelance writing, or my novel writing... grocery shopping, cleaning... what-have-you...
Well! Let me tell you... this was not as easy as I thought it would be. Not the being with three-year olds part. They're adorable and I have no problem handling a room of three-year olds. No. It was just wrapping my head around the fact that I was WITH three-year olds and not in upper elementary school teaching English. I was helping one wee-one in the bathroom, when it hit me... How did I get here??? How did I get from teaching foreshadowing and writing a five-paragraph essay to wiping tiny tushies!!!
I was in a dark place...
But then a very good friend of mine reminded me of all the reasons I took this job in the first place... Remember, she said, it let's you focus on what's most important. Oh yeah! That's right. I took this job so I can be home for my daughters and write my novel! Anyway, the dark clouds (slowly) blew away and I kept repeating my new mantra - this is not a career, it is a job that allows me to be home for my girls, put food on the table, and write my novel...
I think I'm starting to believe it...
But it's hard. Has your life ever wound up in an unexpected place and you wondered how the heck you got there???
Normally, once September starts, I begin my major writing days again. I used to write from about 8:30/9:00 am until about 3:30/3:45 pm. Basically from the time the school bus picks-up my girls to the time the school bus drops them home again, gigity-gig. I would take short breaks for lunch, email and blogging, but pretty much, that was my writing schedule. Now that I have this Tuesday/Thursday morning job... I am worried it will throw my whole glorious writing schedule off.
Plus, the fall is the last hurrah for the real estate market. And I have actually (thankfully!) been busy with my freelance writing. This takes time away from my novel too!!!
Oh and I decided to take on tutoring students too... Well, someone asked me if I would consider tutoring again and I said, sure... what the heck... Well, I didn't say that to their face, but I thought it!
Wait, let me see... there is...
- taking care of my girls/family/house etc
- writing my novel
- freelance writing
- teaching preschool Tues/Thur
- and substitute teaching
NO WONDER I FEEL SO BUSY AND OVERWHELMED!!!I am going to have to try to sort out a new writing schedule into the above crazy schedule and I can't forget time to exercise also.. shish, are there enough hours in the day???
So this week's goals are...
- Make a plan Stan! I am nowhere without a schedule. First things first. Monday's already busy with appointments. I have a meeting in the morning, then two MSs to read/critique for a writer's meeting, a student to tutor, and a real estate copy and room-by-room description to write.
- Tuesday - work in the am, then grocery shop in the pm and finish Monday left overs, if any.
- Wednesday - Yay, this day is wide open... so I will devote this day to my novel. I will keep the goal of how many pages kind of low because I am just easing back into it. I never write a lot when I am just getting back. So, if I wind up with five new pages that are worthy, I will be very happy.
- Thursday - work in the am, write in the pm. If any houses come on my schedule this is when I will book seeing them...
- Friday - Yay another whole day devoted to my novel! Pick up where I left off on Wednesday. Also, if I see any houses on Tues/Thurs after work, I will try to get those copies done in the afternoon so I can enjoy time with my family during the weekend.
So, those are my goals for this up-and-coming week. I have to admit, I am not loving the above itinerary. It feels very choppy and disconcerted. I like having 5 consistent days in a row to work on my writing. But I write best in the mornings. Writing Tues/Thurs afternoon is not plausible yet, as last week I came home from the preschool and my brain felt like it was MIA. Maybe as the school year progresses, I will become less mind-numb on Tues/Thurs, but we shall have to wait and see.
Like I said, I am not too excited by this schedule, but I'll have to make the most of it.