Followers

Friday, August 8, 2008

Adventure Thursdays

Rebecca reminded me in one of her recent posts that I had made promises. I make the same promises every summer, in fact. And every summer comes and goes and those promises are left as best intentions that paved the way to... well to a very uneventful summer.

Let me explain... we usually can't afford to go away on expensive vacations and we can't afford luxury camps - OK most camps - for our kids. But that's OK. We like being home. However, every summer I say to myself, this summer will be different. This summer I will go where ever my kids want to go (within reason, of course!) and we will take day trips to Philadelphia and go to museums, and to the creek, and the beach... and where ever their hearts desire.

But the summer just kind of takes a momentum of its own and before I know it, there are little more than 3 weeks left and we have done none of those things. So....

We have established Adventure Thursdays (cue echo machine) here at the Oshins' household. There are 4 Thursdays left so each child gets to be the boss of two of them.

Yesterday, we went here...


I always say 'no' when my kids ask to go here. But it was... Adventure Thursday... and Adventure Thursday is all about saying 'yes.' (again, within reason). So, they climbed and jumped and scouted and did all sorts of things.

And then they went here...


And did this...


And this...



And this...

This was so cool! It was a virtual jump rope. A lot harder then it sounds. I didn't do so well on it, but I laughed hard trying!


And then they they bought these with the tickets they won....
I'd say all in all, it was a very fun and adventurous Adventure Thursday. So, give it a try, pick a day out of the week that is a 'yes' day and try to say yes to all the things we tend to say no to. After all, we certainly can't write about Adventures if we don't experience them...
Happy Writing (and Adventures!)

13 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

It looks like so much fun! I may use the Adventure Thursday theme for the kids for the next two weeks.
Go to Philly for me! We so want to get back to that giant heart. I think we walked through 20 times last summer.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Oh the giant heart. Is that in the Franklin Institute?

PJ Hoover said...

OMG, yes! I loved the Franklin Institute. They had King Tut there last summer so we had to go. There is so much for the kids there, I only wish I'd had more time!

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

WE're probably going to go there either next week or the week after. I don't think I've ever been there.

Hey, we saw Journey to the Center of the Earth tonight. It was every bit as good as you said it was. It was so exciting and intense, that I actually was holding onto my daughter. I can definitely see it as a ride in Disney or a video game.

Sarah Hina said...

You're such an awesome mom, Sheri. :)

Really, your kids are lucky to have that kind of positive spirit nurturing their lives. And you're right--we need to live our adventures, and not just be satisfied with the ones in our minds. You're obviously embracing that as a family.

We're having an Adventure Saturday tomorrow--the Ohio State Fair. :)

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Ah, thanks Sarah! I'm sure you're great too. I love a county fair... or state fair. Ours is the end of August. It's not summer if you don't have cotton candy while on a ferris wheel. Now, wait... where have I recently read about... ;)

Rebecca Gomez said...

Oh, I LOVED Journey to the Center of the Earth. Did you get to see it in 3D? Not me, but it was still great.

I'm glad you took my "order" to go have an adventure to heart. Looks like you had a great time. Be sure to post pictures of your next adventure!

JR's Thumbprints said...

That Wack-A-Mole reminds me of a story called "Ray," which appeared in the Alaska Quarterly Review. I'll never view the game the same.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Rebecca, I forgot it was in 3-D. That would explain some of the scenes! DUH! I did think while watching it that it would make a great 3-D movie.

PJ - you saw it in 3-D, right?

Do you want to share why JR, or should we leave it up to our imagination???

Unknown said...

That's an awesome thing to do for your kids! ...and it would be a great thing in a book, too :)

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Thanks Beth. They seem to enjoy it. So much of the time, as a parent, we have to say no. It is nice to have a day dedicated to 'yes.'

Keri Mikulski said...

Great idea! Philly is fun.. :) I'm going to steal your amazing idea.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Steal away Keri!

“Personal limitation exists only in our ideas of who we are. Give up all notions of who you are and your limitations will vanish.”

- Anonymous